DEMOJS 2013 - JS pride!
We are back!
After last year success (100+ sceners coming, 27 prods), we are thrilled to invite you the new release of DemoJS team : DEMOJS 2013 - JS Pride.
Highlights of the week-end
- starts friday June 28th @ 8PM CEST
- ends sunday June 30th @ noon CEST
- hosted by Isart DIGITAL, the videogame and 3D movie school
- FREE as a beer could be :)
- 3 main compos (1K, 8K, Demo) + fast compos + special prizes
- Remotes are welcome
- 200+ squared meters
- Conferences with major demoscene/web players
- Friendly atmosphere
- And more…
The demoscene is a computer art subculture that specializes in producing demos, which are audio-visual presentations that run in real-time on a computer. Demosceners are coders, graphic artists, computer musicians… More infos on wikipedia
A demoparty is an event that gathers demosceners and other computer enthusiasts to socialize and compete. You can find more about demoparties on wikipedia
Indeed, competitions, or "compos", are the main feature of a demoparty : the productions made by the demosceners are shown on the bigscreen, then the public vote to rank them.
An important rule in all the demoscene competitions is that the production must be new, ie the production should not have been previously released or publicly shown. Also, it's important to understand that you don't need to wait for the demoparty to start your production. The demoparty just acts as a deadline.
We strongly recommend to take part in at least one competition. Having YOUR production showed on the bigscreen in front of a relevant audience is awesome, and will fulfill your party experience.
DemoJS demoparty is a demoparty specialized in web technologies.
We welcome both experienced demosceners and people who have never been to a demoparty.
If you are a beginner in web technologies, here are some links to help you. Also, you will find help at the party place, don't hesitate to ask people around you!
DemoJS 2013 has 3 competitions: 1K, 8k, and demo. You don't need to be physically present at DemoJS to compete (of course, if you can, we strongly recommend to actually BE at the partyplace). All the details about the DemoJS competitions are on the compos & rules page
What to bring to a demoparty?
- your computer
- an ethernet cable
- a sleeping bag (if you plan to sleep at the partyplace)
- your creativity!
Highlights of the party
All times are given in local time CEST. This program is subject to change (but not that much).
Friday, June 28th 2013
- 8PM : doors open, sceners install their stuff and start coding
Saturday, June 29th 2013
- 2PM : Tech talks
- 8PM : Deadline for demos submission
- 10PM : COMPOS
Sunday, June 30th 2013
- 11AM : Competitions results
- noon : The party ends
Tech talks and concerts
The complete program for the tech talks and concerts will announced soon.
Tools of the trade
1k || 8k
Music in a few bytes
- Three.js recommended : webGL framework
- CODEF : Canvas Oldschool Demo Effect Framework
- Processing.js : port of the Processing Visualization Language
- TinyC5 : HTML 5 framebuffer graphics library
- Paper.js :Canvass framework
- Kinetic.js : canvas frameworks
- OSG.js : Webgl framework
- Raphaël.js : SVG framework
- jsRocket recommended : to easily sync your demos!
- ShaderToy : play with shaders + a lot of examples
- GLSL sandbox : Same as above, with different samples
- WebGL trace
- WebGL utils
- WebGL unproject
Documentation and tutorials
Webgl / 3D
JS demo examples
- DemoJS 2012 invitation
- DemoJS 2011 productions
- JS1k : the original JS 1K intro competition
- WebGL ports of classics
- Pouet.net : all JS prodz
- WAB :Canvas ports of some old schoold demos
- Old school never dies : Oldschool Never Dies by Jace / ST Knights: a demo which use Tiny C5 library
How to meet musicians and graphic artists?
If you are a lonely coder looking for a soundtrack or some graphics for a demo/intro, you can probably find a demoscener willing to collaborate with you. Here are some hints on where to look for people :
- Demoscene.fr petites annonces (in french)
- Pouet.net BBS : create a new topic with an explicit title (eg: "Looking for a musician for DemoJS", "Looking for a demo soundtrack"), and ignore the trolls
- Revision on IRC
Need more help?
Also, don't forget, DemoJS is a friendly place with friendly people where you can find help; don't hesitate to ask people around you!
Come to DemoJS - Paris, France
At Isart Digital : near Opéra Bastille
Transportations from Paris and nearby
The nearest metro station is Bastille. This is by far the easiest way to come to the party place. You can use the following metro lines to come : 1 5 8
You can also use the bus. Each one of those stops close by Bastille : 86 76 65 29 20 69 87
We do not recommend coming using a car because the neighbourhood is very busy and it is very hard to find some parking (Isart Digital doesn't provide any space to park).
Are you coming from outside of France?
We can help you to plan your travel! Just email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sleeping at the party place
You can sleep at the party place, both the friday night and the saturday night but nothing will be provided like bed or mattress.
You can reach us by email, and - in case of emergency - by phone (+33 6 61 53 88 71).
- Native browser web technologies only, like WebGL or Canvas. No plug-ins (e.g Flash or Silverlight), no extras.
- The production should not have been publicly released previously.
- The production has to work on at least one major web browser : Firefox or Chrome or IE. Your demo must run in any of them, without a problem. You are allowed to experiment with the nightly builds, but please keep us informed.
- You should only submit your own work. In particular, it is forbidden to submit copyrighted material.
- The organizing team may disqualify inappropriate entries (pornography, illegal content...).
- The organizing team may disqualify entries that don’t follow the rules expressed here. If you have any questions regarding one of those rules, you can email us : email@example.com.
- You CAN start working on your production NOW. The production does NOT need to be made 100% at the party place.
- Deadline is saturday june 29th @ 7PM CEST
- Technical description : Intel i5-2500k / 8GB RAM / GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1go / SSD / 1680x1050
- We will not install any add-ons on the compo machine.
- Entries will be run from a local file, not over HTTP - browser options for local file access will be enabled where necessary (e.g. --allow-file-access-from-files on Chrome).
How to submit your work?
You can submit your entry at the party place or by email for remote entries : firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will have to specify the following informations :
- list of used technologies (e.g. WebGL, Canvas, Audio API, etc.)
- best browser to run the demo, and list of known compatible browsers (with, if possible, minimum required version)
- recommended screen resolution for running the demo, if any
Remote specific informations
You can enter the competitions even if you won't be present at the party.
Send us your(s) production(s) by email : email@example.com
Please include in your email :
- the production title
- author/group name
- (optionnal) a message about your production, that will be read to the live audience (of course, you can send us an audio or video recording if you wish!)
Play with a few bytes !
- Everything needs to fit in one or more files.
- Note that 1k means 1024 bytes or less. We’re not counting in characters, but in bytes (beware of unicode).
- The production have to work offline.
- You are NOT allowed to retrieve content from the Internet
- You should not use any operating system provided media files such as the "Media" and "Music Samples" directory
- You can use built-in generic fonts such as serif, sans-serif.
- No shim is provided.
- Total size must not exceed size limit.
Try to put cool visuals and music in 8k !
- Same rules as in 1k category except the size allowed here 8k wich is 8192 bytes.
- No maximum filesize. However don’t try to run a movie in an iframe.
- Must be a non-interactive.
- You can retrieve external content from the Internet, but it is at your own risk. We shall not be liable for connection problems during demo projection.
These compos will be focused on specific aspects of demos, such as 3D modeling or specific platforms, with a specific theme revealed the day of the demoparty. More on those will be announced soon.
A DemoJS’s panel will give special awards to compos chosen based on the following criteria :
- The most browser-compatible demo : The whole world does not use last version of Chrome, and compatibility between browsers remains a key issue of web development. Also we prefer well-coded generic demos that behave equal in all browsers, than demos which works nice because of browser specific hacks.
- The most original demo : Unusual browser technologies and original concepts will be appreciated.
If you have any question about the rules, drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- bobylito @bobylito
- cb / Adinpsz @cboccato
- JeFfR3y / Vital Motion @amigavibes
- latortue / Punk Floyd @pinkarcadia
- maracuja / ZUUL @__maracuja__
- TiteiKo / Popsy Team @Titeiko
- wullon / Adinpsz @wullon
Mad props to :
- made / Bomb!, for the DemoJS logo
Main event partners
Be part of the team
If you want to be part of the team, please contact us at email@example.com